Our Privacy Promise describes in clear language how Peters Insurance Agencies (2004) Ltd. ensures the protection of the personal information you entrust to us.
Please read this document carefully, because we want you to know that Peters Insurance Agencies (2004) Ltd, as defined in this document ("Peters", "we", "us", "our") protects your personal information. This Privacy Promise spells out the responsibility of Peters and your rights as our applicant, current, former or prospective customers ("you" or "your"), regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information.
Collecting, using and disclosing your personal information. Why do we do it?
We collect, use and disclose personal information for one reason: to serve you better. Knowing you better helps us understand your insurance needs, communicate effectively with you, and provide you with the services and products you want.
We collect, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- verify your identity;
- determine your eligibility for insurance products and services purchased through your broker, and for products and services that may be of interest to you from organizations with whom we have strategic alliances, and to offer these products and services to you;
- assess and underwrite insurance and reinsurance risks;
- determine prices, fees and premiums;
- investigate and settle claims;
- detect and prevent fraud;
- compile statistics, verify and provide information to insurance industry databases, and report to regulatory or industry entities in accordance with statutory and prudent insurance industry practices, including claims history;
- conduct market research;
- investigate specific transactions or patterns of transactions to detect unauthorized or illegal activities;
- comply with the law; or
- comply with tax requirements.
We may gather information from the following sources:
- from you, on applications for our insurance products, or on other forms filled out through telephone, e-mail or face-to-face interviews.
- from your interactions with us, whether written, oral or recorded (for example through your payment history, underwriting and claims);
- from government and other entities, that have information on your driving record and claims history; or
- from consumer reporting agencies (for example your credit history).
What you are committing to when you share personal information with us.
If you provide personal information to us or through any of the previously mentioned sources, you do so with the understanding that your personal information may be used or disclosed for the identified purposes amongst us, the previously mentioned sources, or third parties and that Peters may verify such information, or obtain additional personal information about you by checking with government agencies, credit bureaus, motor vehicle agencies and other fact collecting and verifying entities to assist us for the identified purposes.
Your knowledge and consent are required before we may collect, use or disclose your personal information, except in situations permitted by the law, such as during a fraud investigation, or an investigation by the police.
We accept any of the following as your consent for Peters existing use and future collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for the identified purposes:
- your receipt of this Privacy Promise, unless you advise Peters, either orally or in writing, that you do not agree with the terms stated in this Privacy Promise, and that you wish to opt out of all or portions of it;
- your unrestricted provision of information to Peters, either directly or through licensed agents, insurance brokers or adjusters; or
- your express written, oral or electronic consent as obtained through an application or claims process.
Subject to applicable privacy laws, your consent may not be required. For instance:
- If you obtain insurance or make a claim for your family, or anyone else, you represent that you have obtained consent from them to the collection, use and disclosure of their personal information for the identified purposes, even though they might not be present during the application or claims process.
- If you have an existing insurance policy with us and you request amendments to the policy, the consent which you gave to us when buying the original policy remains in effect.
- If you voluntarily provide personal information either orally or in writing for a purpose that would be considered to be obvious to a reasonable person.
- In the event that Peters proceeds with a business transaction such as the purchase, sale, lease, transfer, merger or amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal or financing of an organization or portion of an organization or of any of the business or assets of an organization, your personal information may be shared with such prospective party to complete the business transaction.
How you can withdraw your consent.
You may withdraw your consent, including your consent to be contacted for secondary marketing activities, at any time upon reasonable notice, subject to legal or contractual restrictions. Please note that withdrawing your consent may affect our ability to continue to provide you with the products and services that you have or would like to receive. Furthermore, your withdrawal of consent does not prohibit Peters from continuing to collect, use or disclose your personal information in the circumstances already outlined with respect to such times that your consent is not required by law, such as in the course of an investigation or proceeding.
How long do we keep your personal information?
Your personal information is retained only as long as we need it to effectively provide products and services to you and for a reasonable length of time thereafter in case we need to meet any business, legal or government requirements.
How do we protect your personal information?
Peters shall use care when storing or destroying your personal information in order to prevent unauthorized access. Whether in electronic or paper-based format, Peters maintains strict security systems to safeguard your personal information in its possession or under its control from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar risks. When we no longer need your personal information, we take as much care to destroy it as we do when storing it.
Your right to access your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information that we have under our control subject to any legal restrictions or rights of refusal of Peters. You also have the right to request correction of your personal information.
Peters may, in accordance with applicable privacy laws, refuse your request for access to personal information if:
- the information is protected by solicitor-client or litigation privilege;
- granting access could reveal confidential commercial information;
- doing so would reasonably be expected to threaten the safety or physical or mental health of an individual other than the individual who made the request;
- doing so can reasonably be expected to cause immediate or grave harm to the safety or to the physical or mental health of the individual who made the request;
- the personal information was collected for the purposes of an investigation and the investigation and associated proceedings and appeals have not been completed;
- the information is generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process;
- the information would likely reveal personal information about another individual;
- the information was collected for purposes related to the detection and prevention of fraud; or
- the information affects judicial proceedings in which either person has an interest.
Keeping your personal information accurate
Peters strives to ensure that the personal information we have on file about you is as accurate and up-to-date as necessary for the identified purposes for which it is to be used. If any information needs to be updated or amended to reflect a change in your situation, please contact us and we will update our records.
4905 52nd Street
After Hours Emergency only: 780-387-6763